This lake was constructed in the year 1864
by Mummadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar measuring
about 25 lakh sq. mts (250 acres) and
provided water for irrigation for more than
10,000 acres of land outside the city. The
27 Kms long Dewan Poornaiah feeder canal
which passes through Hinkal, Bogadi,
Kudremala and Manasagangotri before it
reaches Kukkarahalli lake.
The lake as of
today has a catchment area of more than 400
hectares and the water body spreads over 104
hectares has a depth of meters.
This lake is
home to more than 180 species of birds, not
all of them aquatic. During the
migratory season the lake plays host to a
variety of winged visitors, some from as far
as Siberia. There is a 4.5 Km walkway
on the periphery of the lake with shaded
stone benches for visitors to sit, relax and
enjoy the scenic serenity of the lake.